BMCSTYLE BLOG

Words from a fashion obsessed, music motivated, cocktail drinking, in the kitchen with her heels on, kinda girl.

Monday, March 24, 2014

MATERIAL GIRL

Materialistic: Excessively concerned with physical comforts or the acquisition of material things rather than spiritual, intellectual, moral, or cultural values.

Well, that's a pretty heavy definition. Have you ever seen someone who was well dressed and deemed them as being "materialistic"? This is a common misconception I run into more often than not, simply based on my love for fashion. I find it both interesting and annoying that people can come to this conclusion just because a person likes to dress well. Caring about your appearance and finding joy in what you are wearing does not make you materialistic. It makes you an individual. Fashion is an art form of self expression. It reflects your personality and it represents the ideas and creativity of the people who designed what you are wearing. It's creative and it is emotional. How you are dressed can determine how you are going to feel. It can also determine how well you are going to succeed. Think about it, you don't show up to the gym in a suit. You don't show up to work in sweats. You don't show up to a wedding where you are going to see your ex in your worst outfit. You put thought into your outfit based on what emotion you are trying to evoke out of yourself and others. Therefore, fashion is emotional and more than just a silly garment we use to cover up our naked bodies.

I can't remember a day where I didn't love fashion. My Grandmother and all of her sisters were always dressed to impress. No matter what life challenges they were facing, they were always dressed sharp from head to toe. Accessories and shoes were always coordinated. My Grandma would tell me, "Mija, no matter what, you should always look your best because in the end that's all anyone will remember anyway." We definitely should not judge someone based off of their appearance alone. However, I will tell you, that I have commanded the respect of many based off of my appearance alone.

So, the question was posed to me once again today, "Are you materialistic?". According to the definition above, no, I am not. I value God, my family, health, and love, over everything hanging in my closet. I do, however, understand that I have found a way to express myself creatively and I refuse to view that as being "materialistic".  The next time you see someone who is dressed well maybe you should compliment them instead of judging them. Perhaps you could ask them what was the inspiration behind their outfit and learn something about the actual person. Judgements are made by people who are uneducated on the subject matter at hand. Educate yourselves and learn to love fashionistas!

Sorry for the rant...I owe you a lightweight post! xoB




No comments:

Post a Comment